Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bruschetta

Well, everyone knows about Bruschetta. But if this is the case then why is it that something so delicious is always so shit in restaurants?

The bruschetta I just ate for breakfast was proper italian style bread toasted with a little tomato cut up and mixed with little slithers of fresh basil, lots of salt, pepper, and lots of quality extra virgin olive oil.

Sounds trite but so so good. Nothing like the crap served up most places.

It was only as I was eating it that I thought I didn't put garlic on it. Often I do, but this didn't need it, and was perhaps more fresh without it. Bruschetta does not need garlic rubbed on it to be bruschetta.

Having said that, the most common bruschetta I eat is the most ancient - simply garlic, salt and oil. It is fine enough. Sometimes I sprinkle some finely chopped rosemary on top.

Be generous with the salt and oil.

The worse bucetta ever was these huge bits of toast with, I swear, a tomato chopped into the most enormous slices, put on the top of it, like the crudest tomato on toast you could imagine. It was horrific, and I just think, why. Why they do this, when the real stuff is so easy, and so tasty. And how ignorant are we to eat that crap.

Don't get me started on so-called garlic bread, Mt Cootha style. The horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment