Monday, February 23, 2026

Pork chops with sage and tomatoes

 


I can't believe I've not posted about this dish before. 

Pork, sage, tomatoes - that's pretty well it. 

It's so delicious. We skip the flour, but it browns nicely without. The trick, as is usually the case, is the get the best of everything: free range pork, best tomatoes, sage from your garden, the best salt and fats. If you use a crappy bit of pork it will be like an old boot. 

Cook until it's done. This doesn't mean stopping after the suggested hour, or god help us, 20 minutes as I read in someone's blog post. You cook the pork till it's tender when prodded with a fork. That might take 40 minutes. Or it might take 2 hours. 

2 comments:

  1. I've always struggled with her pork chop recipes as they seem to immediately overcook. So I'll fry my thin loin chops briefly on each side, then remove and make the pan sauce in the spirit of the recipe. But if I kept cooking the loin chops they would eventually get very tender?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try buying heritage pork chops with more fat in them (pre lean breeding). The better quality pork I have, the less risk it dries out. I found the pork in Ireland to be very good.

    ReplyDelete