Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Risotto with Asparagus

I have wanted to continue my risotto quest with a vegetable for a while. I was drawn back to Giuliano Hazan's How to Cook Italian rather than Marcella's Essentials because I like the fact he calls for 1/2 an onion rather than 2 tablespoons. I also suspect that the almost 15 years between the publication of Essentials and his book allowed for greater refinement of the recipe.

That is all speculation however.


I used one of the 6 batches of Marcella Says meat broth I prepared on Sunday. That stuff is gold. The asparagus was simmered as directed. I was concerned it tasted a little gritty after it was tender. I tried to rinse it in the asparagus water as best I could. Next time I will have to remember to rinse it properly before cooking (why didn't I do that anyway? You should always rinse a vegetable before cooking it).


I only had a red onion. I don't think red onion is best. It is difficult to see it become golden, as directed.

Everything went to plan. I don't mind stirring as I tell myself it means I'm working for the dish.

I have noticed I tend to use more broth than the recipe tends to call for. I think that must be because my stove is hotter.


The end result was delicious. It was less buttery and parmesany than the butter and parmesan risotto, but I think that is to be expected. I am not sure that I was able to taste asparagus each bite, but each bite was pretty well perfect.

Marcella suggests testing for salt at the end and I think that's a good idea. I could have seasoned it a little more I think. She also adds pepper, which she also adds to her basic risotto. That might be an idea as well.

She also stirs in a little parsley.

I will definitely be making this again.


No comments:

Post a Comment