Saturday, January 8, 2011

Smothered cabbage, Venetian style



I love Marcella's chicken fricassee with red cabbage. The cabbage cooks for a long time with some red wine on a garlic and onion base and becomes as Marcella describes it "a dense clinging sauce".


This cabbage is similar but different. There is no red wine (but there is red wine vinegar), and the garlic is chopped rather than left whole.

The dish grew on me. I had just eaten a tasty meat dish and the cabbage flavour was more subtle. It is not a dish to eat in a bowl with a spoon. It would go well with other meat, such as sausage. In my case I put it on some crusty bread, and I did consider it very tasty indeed in the end. Two of us knocked off the whole dish.


I think next time I will cook the dish a little longer. I cooked it almost two hours this time and it was tasty, but I would like to see if it improves.

No comments:

Post a Comment