Monday, January 18, 2010

Potato soup with smothered onions

After my barbie which included, of course, onions, and the Alice Waters potato gratin I had potatoes and onions I had to deal with.

Hazan had a potato and onion soup that looked just the trick. Not normally something for the hottest day of summer, but with the benefit of air-con it might as well have been the middle of winter.

I'm really beginning to love Marcella's simplicity. True to form, this soup doesn't have much in it other than potato and onions, as well as my hard earned beef both and a little parsley and parmesan.

Heaps of onions really, but they nicely reduced as they did in the smothered onions pasta last night. I'm still learning the colours of onions - gold, dark gold, brown, pale brown for example. But I think I got there in the end.

I was a little worried after the simmering that it was going to be a little bland, but some extra salt and the requested parmesan and parsley sorted it out. A great little winter warmer, even if it is the middle of summer.

1 comment:

  1. I am making this soup right now. I'm also wondering if I am getting the onion color right.

    ReplyDelete